Before completing this beanie, I hadn't been crocheting much. So, that's why there haven't been many posts lately. Last night, I came across somebody's forum post saying that she could knit a hat in about 45 minutes. This drove me into a (very slight) fit of jealousy because this hat probably took me about 5-6 hours. But, then, I realized she was probably using larger needles and chunkier yarns than I do. And I probably am slow to moderate speed when it comes to crochet.
I used Crochet Spot's free pattern to make this cell phone case. I added a flap and a button and made it a little wider. And I used 2 strands of different-colored DK-weight yarn. But, it's basically the same pattern.
The face, however, is nothing like the book's version. In the book, they use felt and I don't have any on hand. So, I changed it up a little. I didn't embroider the eyebrows and mouth until I was done with crocheting and stuffing the body. Next time I will because the yarn isn't fastened to the doll well.
He looks unfinished to me. Someday, I'll give him some arms and legs.
Yay, my dishcloths did not come out hideous. The photo could use some improvement though. The pink isn't that bright.
It's a deliriously simple pattern. It would have to be considering I made it up and I've made less than 10 projects so far. I used Lily Sugar 'N Cream but any cotton worsted-weight yarn will do. These are a little small and thin for potholders even though the hanging loop makes them look like one. If you want to turn it into a potholder, you can use 2 strands of yarn held together for the main square. Or you could make 2 of the main squares and do the edging through both squares. If you want to make the squares bigger, just increase the chain, which should be an even number plus 1.
If you want to sell the items you create from this pattern, feel free. (But, don't sell the pattern. Who would pay for it anyway?)
Materials Cotton worsted-weight yarn (size 4) Color A Color B (Note: One ball of each color will be more than enough for 2 dishcloths.) Size H hook
Measures approximately 6 1/2 in X 6 1/2 in
With color A, chain 21.
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook. *(dc, sc). Repeat from * to end of chain ending with a dc. (20 stitches) Ch 1, turn. Row 2: #(sc, dc) Repeat from * to end of row ending with a dc. (20 stitches) Ch 1, turn.
Repeat row 2 until swatch is square.
Join color B with slip stitch in any corner.
Round 1: *(Sc until you reach a corner. 3 sc into corner.) Repeat from * 3 times. Sl st into beginning sl st.
Round 2: 3 sc into corner. (Insert stitch marker into beginning sc.) Sc until you reach corner. Ch 12. 3 sc into corner. *(Sc until you reach next corner. 3 sc into corner) Repeat from * 2 times. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
I made the amigurumi heartfelt bear pattern from the Lion Brand website. And, again, I screwed up when embroidering the mouth. But, it's not as bad a mistake this time. It's just a little high up, where a nose should be. I chose to make the 'shirt' in just one color instead of striped. If I attempt this pattern again, I'll add in the stripes.
Also, I finally found an area of the house where the lighting is good enough for photography.
Through a combination of cheap acrylic yarn* (Red Heart Super Saver) and my dreadful sewing skills, this looks dreadful in real life. Ah, well, I tried. There's no pattern because it's just single crochet folded in half and I used decreases to make the flap.
*Super Saver is fine for amigurumi but I hate the way it looks in purses, clothes, etc. Maybe I'll try cotton next time.
Before I made the previous doll, I did this one which was a straight copy of the pattern on Lion Brand's website. Okay, so my embroidery skills need serious work. But, in all fairness, this was the first time I ever embroidered anything. So, the mouth is lopsided and strange. And, I think I pushed the craft eyes too far in. But, I was more careful with the second attempt and I learned what only experience can teach from this one.
This was supposed to be a red devil but it looks more like a half-witted rabbit to me. It's a modification of Lion Brand's free pattern, "Rudy the Rectangle". He could use a nose and I need to work on my sewing skills.
I'm pretty sure this is the first item I've crocheted that hasn't turned out to be a misshapen mess.
Single Crochet Round Coaster
It's a deliriously easy pattern that I'm sure a million others have done before me. Gradually increasing rounds of single crochet and, on the last two rounds, I changed color. When I started it, the pink was going to be black. But, as I looked closer at the two yarns, I realized they were vastly different weights. Supposedly, both the white and black were both worsted weight but the white was much closer to this pink DK-weight yarn that was sitting in my stash. It turned out to be a pleasant enough color combo though.